Saturday, December 1, 2007

Judgement Day

What an ominous topic, a looming fear that most people have of lightning striking them at a moment's notice, spontaneously combusting into a pile of ash for doing something wrong.....where do we get this idea? Yet everyday, people lie, commit adultery, steal, murder and cheat the tax man....and nobody, all of a sudden, is struck by the almighty God, Himself.
What strikes me is the fact that we all live and breathe with the breath of God already in us, Every breath ...in...and out. We speak the name of God and yet we do not know it. Our breath itself was created as worship, as thankfulness...don't you think God has a better plan here???? Do you think we're all destined for hell if we don't fit the labels of being "Christian". (I vomit in my spirit as I say that word. ) "Christian" . A word that has taught people that you are less if you are not one of "them".
Oh God, Give me strength!!!!!
What preacher damned us to hell....when Jesus destined us for greatness, to be love in every aspect of life? What church dug out that great chasm for us to leap over into, leaving the worthless ones behind....?
This is crazy!!!
I was watching a psych patient at work one day and we spoke through the doorway of his room while in emergency. He asked me if I beleived in God. I told him...."Today's you're lucky day....if anyone does, it's me. "
He said, "I Pray but God doesn't hear my prayers."
I said," How do you know that?"
"Because nothing changes...it just gets worse."
I said nothing. just waited for him to talk.
He said, "I'm just so mad, so angry!"
"I could swear up a storm right now but I don't do that in front of women."
I thanked him for his respect for me but told him to swear anyway and I would overlook it, if it would help him feel a bit relieved by releasing some stress.
"I couldn't do that...if God heard me swear , what would he think of me then?"
I asked him...."If your worried about God hearing you swear...then why do you think he doesn't hear you pray...?"
Tell me people....who invented this crap?
Who made up this mindset that God looks for the worst in people and casts us into the very pit of hell? Where is redemption? What is the purpose of forgiveness? Why is Jesus even reality then? God gives us the power to speak life or death , to love and to forgive, to stretch forth and heal, yet we cast out, and demean, and condemn, and leave behind because "we of the Christian faith are better than they", we are called to be separate, to be holy.... and then when we read the fine print on judgement day it says, *Note: So heavenly minded they were no earthy good, socially inept and judgmental. Consequences? jewels returned to store house, rewards returned to store house, forgiveness....

Who knows? I am not their creator nor their judge...yet that's what we do. we judge, and fit people for hell. We do not love or give or bless. We walk by and ask how you're doing but don't really care to hear the real answer...life is to quick and we might miss the next sale or the next game or the next episode of CSI!
Oh God give me the words to speak!!!!
We're missing the point. To be like Jesus, to converse, to embark on a journey with someone, to reach past the flaws and pull out the perfected parts, to diagnose past the diseases of our self-loathing and hatred and accept medicines of acceptance, love and self worth. To stop shopping for ipods, and flat screen tv's, women's retreats half-way around the world when a family could use a freezer full of meat in their house or someone needs a down payment on a house instead.
Why is it that we need our kids in hockey and band and youth group and spanish lessons and play dates and swimming, and babysitters...when people need a cup of coffee and someone to cry with or laugh with...because their husband died or left them alone and there is no one to talk to after the babies are in bed. No one to play cards with, we pity them and think they have too much on their "plate". When if you actually looked at the food bill , it consisted of lonliness and a TV guide. No one wants to invest in the single mom because she's probably tired from her night shifts and day shifts and overtime shifts and sleeping..."Don't call her cuz she needs to rest!"

Call her, Damn it! She's awake and crying in her bed, She runs to the windows day after day when she hears car doors shutting, hoping that it's her prodigal husband coming home to mend a broken heart! She holds her phone in the silence of her home hoping someone will embark on her journey, help her find the perfected parts of her soul and tempt her to laugh again.

I hope your judgement day is all that you expect it to be....but i suspect it won't be...and when you think of weeping and gnashing of teeth, you'll experience your own type of hell in your heart and mind....knowing what you didn't do.
Ask your maker..........and stop judging me.....more importantly...look at how you validate yourself......you should judge more appropriately the person you look at in the mirror everyday....who you so quickly seem to forget.