Friday, May 22, 2009

Pearls

Forever, I have always thought,
that Jackie Onasis was the most beautiful woman in the world.
I think I have narrowed it down, finally, as to why.
It's that string of pearls she always wore.
Classic,
Beautiful,
Earthy,
Fresh.
I found a set with matching earrings at a garage sale.
Despite the fear we have of germs these days,
when no one was looking,
I rubbed the string of pearls on my teeth.
The gritty, sandy feel of them would tell me if they were real or not.
They we're.
And the owner had no idea.
The earrings, too, were the real thing.
He had them listed at $2.
I gave him $20 and told him to keep the change.
He looked at me funny, pausing...then asked me , "are you sure?"
I smiled and said...."These are the real thing, you know! It would cost me over a hundred to buy these at Birks. Thanks again!"
I walked away and got in my car.
I wonder if His wife had died...if maybe if she wore them at their wedding?
.... Or if she wore them all the time like Jackie O?
I love them.
Simplistic.
Elegant.
Romantic.
Priceless.
They make me feel like royalty when I wear them.
Like a Kennedy.
Jackie Onasis-Kennedy.
I will be as pretty as her wearing my pearls.